Working Group European Vegetation Survey
of the International Association for Vegetation Science
Approved by the European Vegetation Survey business meeting held in Vienna on 27 May 2012 and by the Council of the International Association for Vegetation Science at the meeting in Mokpo on 24 July 2012. Amended by the European Vegetation Survey business meeting held in Rome on 10 April 2013 and by the Council of the International Association for Vegetation Science at the meeting in Tartu on 27 June 2013.
Article 1. Name and status
The name of this organization shall be “European Vegetation Survey” (EVS). It shall be a Working Group of the International Association for Vegetation Science (IAVS).
Article 2. Purposes
The main purposes of the EVS include:
- the development of common data standards in the provision of phytosociological information about vegetation;
- the encouragement of national programmes of vegetation survey across Europe and beyond;
- the development of software and an electronic network for vegetation data exchange;
- the production of an overview of European vegetation;
- the organization of scientific meetings;
- the encouragement of international research collaborations in vegetation survey;
- the support of publications on concepts, methods and results of vegetation survey in Europe and beyond.
As a Working Group of IAVS, EVS shares the IAVS goals and supports its activities. EVS is subject to the Statutes and Bylaws of the IAVS.
Article 3. Membership
Membership of the EVS is open to all persons free of charge, and membership in the IAVS is optional. Membership in the EVS is obtained by:
- written application to the EVS Membership Administrator, or
- registration for participation in a conference, workshop or fieldtrip of the EVS.
Membership is discontinued by a written statement (electronic or hardcopy) sent to the EVS Membership Administrator that the member does no longer want to be member of the EVS.
It is the responsibility of members to provide the Membership Administrator with a functioning e-mail address. Membership is discontinued when no functioning e-mail address is available to either the Membership Administrator or the IAVS Secretary.
Article 4. Business meeting
A business meeting shall be held annually in conjunction with an EVS meeting. All members attending may vote in the business meeting.
Article 5. Steering Committee
The Working Group shall have a Steering Committee (SC) with five elected members, each from a different European country. SC must contain at least one member from each of the following three European geographic regions, defined by similar languages, history and/or biogeography: Western-Central and North-western Europe1, Southern Europe2 and Eastern-Central and Eastern Europe3. If a representative of one of these regions is missing among the five elected members, the candidate with the highest number of votes from that region becomes automatically the sixth or seventh member of the SC. All SC members shall be members of IAVS. Each SC member shall be elected for a period of four years at the next business meeting of the EVS following a vacancy. Nominations shall be received by the EVS Secretary by e-mail or in person at an EVS meeting and may be made by any member. SC members may be elected for further periods of four years. The SC elects a Secretary from its members and appoints a Membership Administrator (who need not be a member of the SC) for a period of four years. All decisions on behalf of EVS except the election of the SC itself are made by the SC with majority.
Article 6. Duties of the Steering Committee members
- The SC members promote the interests of the EVS, and supervise EVS operations and scientific activities;
- The Secretary presides at the EVS business meetings held during the EVS scientific meetings;
- The Secretary, at his or her discretion, may call upon members or appoint committees to assist with the EVS affairs, e.g. the Membership Administrator;
- The Secretary keeps records of the EVS and supplies an annual report to IAVS;
- The Membership Administrator keeps records of the EVS members.
Article 7. Finances
EVS financial assets shall be held by and managed through the accounts of IAVS.
Article 8. Amendments
These Bylaws will be adopted and may be amended by a 3/5 vote of the members participating in the business meeting of the EVS. Proposed amendments must be circulated to the membership by email at least two weeks in advance of the business meeting at which they are voted on. Changes in the bylaws are contingent on approval by the IAVS Council.
1 Austria, Benelux, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, UK
2 Albania, Cyprus, France, Greece, Italy, Malta, Portugal, Spain, Turkey
3 Balkan countries except Albania and Greece, Baltic countries, Belarus, Czech Republic, Hungary, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine